Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Heartbreak

There are these two boys at camp. They are like soul brothers. They love each other so much it hurts. It hurts to see how much they love each other and how well they know each other. This makes it hard for them to be friends. They are both a little socially challenged (more so then other 2nd graders) and this makes it especially difficult for them to be easy going friends. For most of camp their play together has been highly monitored (increasing in the last week or so) and we have spent a great deal of time diffusing arguments and reminding them that even when we love our friends deeply, it can be important to take breaks and find new friends to play with.

This week, with the influence of their parents, their school-year teacher, and the kids themselves, we have come back to the decision that they simply cannot play together. This breaks my heart into a million tiny pieces. To see the way these boys react when the other arrives in the morning is one of the purest and most beautiful forms of affection I can ever remember encountering. It is truly something special.

Unfortunately, their arguing and communication skills are not developed enough for them to play together without there being an aggressive outburst (which can sometimes lead to violence). All I want for the two of them is to be happy and enjoy camp and really enjoy each other. None of the other campers, even their classmates understand these boys like they so clearly understand and sincerely know each other.

My hope for them is that with time apart, and the help of adults and peers around them, they can develop the necessary skills to form a deep and lasting brotherly bond. I know from experience that the true friends you make in elementary and middle school can last longer then you or anyone else expect.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
The Learning Curve of an Adult Child is singularly me. I suppose it's about the trials and tribulations involved in what "they" call being a grown-up. But maybe it's just about things that happen and things I think about... (Also, that is my computer generated pirate name) My other blog, [hap]hazard, is my best friend and I. We enjoy adventuring.

Followers