Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The End is in Sight

This is the last week of camp for the summer and good golly am I burnt out! Tomorrow is the last day and I couldn't be more ready. My vacation is scheduled. Ms. Sadie is going into hiding and I get to be just Sadie for 4 glorious weeks!

I should be going to sleep right now but I just wanted to post a little something about what has been going on this week. Basically I'm a bad teacher this week. I'm tired, cranky, and have very little patience. BUT, I decided to tell the kids a story today during rest time instead of re-reading another chapter from the book we have been reading all summer. When I was nannying for that awesome 3 year old she wanted to hear stories all the time so I made up this little forest community with Mr. & Mrs. Silver Fox at the center. Today I started out my story like this; "I want to tell you guys about some friends of mine." I went on to tell the kids about a swimming excursion that I made up as I went along and when I was finished, I had a lot of questions.

I didn't consider the age group I had, 4-10. Ten year olds start to question everything, and some of them stop believing in magic. There was my 10 year old girl asking if it was a true story. If they were animals how were they my friends? Did the Foxes really tell me to share their story? How do I know them? And so on. By the end of the interrogation this girl was confused but really wanted to believe that I am friends with these animals and they let me share and retell their adventures. I ended up crediting my special knowledge to magic and a special relationship that only comes from great listening skills. She seemed satisfied for the time being and I felt good about forcing some mystery on this girl (she likes solid answers). She is new to the school and has a lot of magic and mystery coming her way so why not start now?

Tomorrow is the last day and we get to break up the routine with an ice cream social and popsicles. Yay treats! I gotta get some sleep though to be able to handle the sugar high.

UPDATE on the boys from the Heartbreak post: There was a meeting and things are all worked out. Parents are calmed and no one is making us keep them apart. Boys will be boys I say.


Also, I love this.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
The Learning Curve of an Adult Child is singularly me. I suppose it's about the trials and tribulations involved in what "they" call being a grown-up. But maybe it's just about things that happen and things I think about... (Also, that is my computer generated pirate name) My other blog, [hap]hazard, is my best friend and I. We enjoy adventuring.

Followers